What you should know about prescription lenses
It’s worth noting that only correctly selected glasses can provide good visual acuity and excellent style. Whereas incorrectly chosen optics can cause discomfort. That is why it’s so significant to choose prescription lenses.
Prescriptions are important because they help determine the strength of your lenses, which ones are best for your eyes, and, to some extent, which frames you can wear. They vary depending on each person’s vision needs, lifestyle, and eye health.
How do prescription lenses work?
Prescription lenses work to correct your vision and are designed to alter the direction of light rays so that they shine correctly on your retina, allowing you to see properly. The way they alter the direction of light varies based on whether you are near or farsighted.
Let’s look at the Top 5 reasons why you should buy prescription lenses:
1. Diagnostics and analysis of vision for the correct selection of lenses
The first step before buying glasses is a comprehensive eye examination. This will give you an up-to-date scenario and also help identify any eye health issues. The ophthalmologist not only prescribes the right lenses for your vision or its impairment but also performs a comprehensive eye examination. For example, conditions such as dry eyes and cataracts may be the cause of vision problems.
2. Having problems with vision, such as nearsightedness or farsightedness
If you are nearsighted, your eyes overfocus and this causes light rays to focus in before it reaches the retina, instead of focusing directly on it. Prescription lenses diverge the light rays so that the eyes don’t focus so much on it, allowing the light rays to reach the retina where they belong.
For people with farsightedness, the eyes don’t focus well, and as such, light rays don’t form a point before reaching the retina. Prescription lenses help to increase the eyes’ focusing power so that the light reaches a point by the time it reaches the retina, allowing it to correctly see images.
3. Choosing the right frames and lenses for your specific needs and lifestyle
Not every type of frame is suitable for every type of lens. For example, some prescriptions call for very thick lenses which means that a lightweight wire frame is not the best option. You can choose the right frame for your type of lens, which will be the right decision and make your glasses convenient and comfortable to use.
4. Variety of lens types – how to find the perfect fit
There are hundreds or even thousands of different lens types, often tailored to individual needs such as driving or reading, and your ophthalmologist can help you find the right one for your needs. There are 5 main types of lenses but they will have many options.
• Standard plastic lenses usually with an anti-scratch coating included.
• Aspherical lenses are thinner and flatter, which reduces the cosmetic appearance of “big eyes” if you are farsighted, or “small eyes” if you are nearsighted.
• Polycarbonate lenses are impact-resistant and used for goggles, children, and sports glasses, providing good UV protection.
• High index lenses are thinner and lighter than standard ones. They may benefit people with stronger prescriptions who might otherwise have heavier, thicker lenses.
• Lenses for the office. These lenses provide comfortable vision and are ideal for those who may experience eye strain symptoms at the end of a hard day’s work.
5. The need for specialized lenses
Sometimes prismatic lenses, progressive lenses, and other special items may be required. Specialty lenses need facial measurements to ensure that the frame is properly positioned and that the lenses fit correctly in the glasses. Frames and lenses are designed according to the different parameters of your eyes. Your ophthalmologist will take measurements (such as optical centers), discuss with you the required reading distance or zone, and look at the slope of the frame to your face.
Pick a pair of frames online and enter your prescription details. You will soon be rocking a pair of glasses that look great and make everything around you look great as well.